Tuesday, March 14, 2017

All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

Publisher: Simon & Schuster, June 2016

Genre: Fiction

Pages: eBook, 384 pages

Rating: 3/5 stars

Summary (from goodreads.com):

It’s been ten years since Nicolette Farrell left her rural hometown after her best friend, Corinne, disappeared from Cooley Ridge without a trace. Back again to tie up loose ends and care for her ailing father, Nic is soon plunged into a shocking drama that reawakens Corinne’s case and breaks open old wounds long since stitched.

The decade-old investigation focused on Nic, her brother Daniel, boyfriend Tyler, and Corinne’s boyfriend Jackson. Since then, only Nic has left Cooley Ridge. Daniel and his wife, Laura, are expecting a baby; Jackson works at the town bar; and Tyler is dating Annaleise Carter, Nic’s younger neighbor and the group’s alibi the night Corinne disappeared. Then, within days of Nic’s return, Annaleise goes missing.

Told backwards—Day 15 to Day 1—from the time Annaleise goes missing, Nic works to unravel the truth about her younger neighbor’s disappearance, revealing shocking truths about her friends, her family, and what really happened to Corinne that night ten years ago.

Review:

This book had me feeling one of two ways... either loving every second, or wishing it would be over (read: wanting to put it down).

My biggest issue with this book was the format in which it was written. I did not like reading the story backwards, and while I fully realize that by the end of the book, it made complete sense to read the story that way, at the time I found it confusing, annoying and kinda boring. There were many points during those two weeks (of the story) that I seriously considered marking this as a DNF because I was frustrated at not knowing what was happening... reading about the aftermath of something before I even knew what has happened, only to read about it happening in the next chapter. I can't say for sure whether the book would have read better moving forward but I can for sure say that this was not a reading style I enjoyed.

As for the characters, they were okay... not anything that will stick with me, yet also enjoyable in the story as I was reading. If I am being honest, the characters and their backstory reminded me 100% of Sweet Home Alabama... the hillbilly girl runs away from her life (and boyfriend), meets a big city guy and gets engaged, ends up back home where the hillbilly boyfriend is still in love with her... come on now... I can't be the only one who felt this way!!

Overall, while the ending totally saved this book, I don't have any major feelings either way and am finding it hard to review. I can't believe that there is a #2 in the All the Missing Girls series and can't say that I will rush to pick it up... but, it's on the TBR, for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment