Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Trapped by Michael Northrop

Trapped by Michael Northrop

Publisher: Scholastic Press, February 2011

Genre: Fiction, Teen/Young Adult

Pages: Paperback, 232 pages

Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary (from goodreads.com):

The day the blizzard started, no one knew that it was going to keep snowing for a week. That for those in its path, it would become not just a matter of keeping warm, but of staying alive. . . .

Scotty and his friends Pete and Jason are among the last seven kids at their high school waiting to get picked up that day, and they soon realize that no one is coming for them. Still, it doesn't seem so bad to spend the night at school, especially when distractingly hot Krista and Julie are sleeping just down the hall. But then the power goes out, then the heat. The pipes freeze, and the roof shudders. As the days add up, the snow piles higher, and the empty halls grow colder and darker, the mounting pressure forces a devastating decision. . . .

Review:

I have to start this off by saying that I am a self-proclaimed disaster junkie. "Breaking News" is my crack (sorry if that's offensive, but you get my point). I love any movie that centres around extreme weather (Twister, San Andreas, The Day After Tomorrow, to name a few) so I figured why would books be any different?!

After seeing Trapped on one of the book tube channels I watch and hearing that it was about the biggest snow storm in the history of the US, I knew I not only had to read it but wanted to save it for a super snowy day... that was yesterday!!

Now, this was a super easy read and I want to say that it was geared more for the teens than anything but even with that, I found it to be a very enjoyable read. The characters were a group of typical high school kids and fit into every stereotype that you can think of.. maybe a little too "cookie-cutter" but I still managed to find each of them decent in their own rights. The main character "Scotty" was a good narrator and I enjoyed the book from his perspective.

I've heard of Nor'easter's before but just imagine 18 feet of snow in less than a week with no breaks in between... that's insane and I'm not even sure it's possible. However, it made for an intense, edge of your seat read and I found myself turning pages as fast as I could and just as tuned in as I would be to my real-life disasters.

Overall, a quick read that was totally worth it! Definitely pick it up during the next snow storm!!


No comments:

Post a Comment