Monday, December 12, 2016

Holiday Reads | Calling Mrs Christmas by Carole Matthews

Calling Mrs Christmas by Carole Matthews

Publisher: Little Brown & Company, October 2013

Pages: Paperback, 480 pages

Genre: Fiction, Christmas

Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary (from chapters.indigo.ca):

Cassie Smith has been out of work for a while but she has an idea. Drawing on her love of Christmas, she begins charging for small things: wrapping presents; writing cards; tree-decorating. She's soon in huge demand and Cassie's business, Calling Mrs Christmas, is born.

Carter Randall wants to make Christmas special for his children, so he enlists Cassie's help, and his lavish requests start taking up all her time. Thank goodness she can rely on her loving partner Jim to handle the rest of her clients.

When millionaire Carter asks Cassie to join his family on a trip to Lapland, she knows she shouldn't go . . . Suddenly Cassie finds herself facing a heart-breaking choice that could change her entire life.

Review:

I'm not sure if I have started all of the Holiday Reads off this way, BUT... I read Carole Matthews each and every Christmas. It seems there are always those authors who come out with new books for the holiday season and when you find what works for you, you run with it!

First off, I have to say that I thought Calling Mrs Christmas was about an older lady, who was maybe an angel, doing amazing things for those who had lost the Christmas spirit, well, I couldn't have been further from the actual plot. In actuality, Cassie is a young woman who has been out of work for the better part of a year. Feeling depressed and in need of something to change her life, she decided to act on her favourite thing, Christmas, and sets up an event planning service for all things Christmas.

I have to say that a quarter of the way through, I wasn't sure I was going to like this book... I found the story of Cassie and Jim wonderful and heartwarming but when Carter was introduced into it, I knew that things were going to go downhill and I was already getting that sour taste in my mouth. It's the age old debate of wealth vs. love... does money really buy you everything? As far as characters go, Carter is that grease ball rich guy who wants everything and doesn't stop until it's his.. he made me feel dirty.

All in, I really enjoyed Calling Mrs Christmas and hope that there is more to her story in the future. Another great story for Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment