Wednesday, December 14, 2016

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group, May 2016

Genre: Fiction

Pages: Paperback, 384 pages

Rating: 5/5 stars

Summary (from chapters.indigo.ca):

On a rainy afternoon, a mother's life is shattered as her son slips from her grip and runs into the street…

I Let You Go follows Jenna Gray as she moves to a ramshackle cottage on the remote Welsh coast, trying to escape the memory of the car accident that plays again and again in her mind, desperate to heal from the loss of her child and the rest of her painful past.

At the same time, the novel tracks the pair of Bristol police investigators trying to get to the bottom of this hit-and-run. As they chase down one hopeless lead after another, they find themselves as drawn to each other as they are to the frustrating, twist-filled case before them.

Review:

Yet another book review that I am starting with a giant WOW! What an amazing debut novel for Clare Mackintosh... a story that grabs you from the first page and keeps you guessing right up to the last page.  You know the type of book that leaves you hungry for more?  That is exactly what I Let You Go does!!

While I found the start of the story insane, it slowed off just a little to the point that I started thinking that this book wasn't going to live up to it's hype.  However, I hit the halfway point and  the book took a sudden turn that made you go from thinking it's 'just okay' to 'this book is crazy good'.  It became that page turner that I was expecting and I fell in love with Clare's ability to build a story.  Her characters were lovable and relateable ... people who made mistakes and now have to spend a lifetime dealing with the consequences.

I am so excited to read Clare's next book because if this is any indication... I will be a forever fan!


No comments:

Post a Comment