Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Far From True by Linwood Barclay

Far From True by Linwood Barclay

Publisher: Doubleday Canada, March 2016

Genre: Fiction

Pages: eBook, 480 pages

Rating: 3/5 stars

Summary (from chapters.indigo.ca):

After the screen of a run-down drive-in movie theater collapses and kills four people, the daughter of one of the victims asks private investigator Cal Weaver to look into a break-in at her father's house. Cal discovers a hidden room where salacious activities have taken place—as well as evidence of missing DVDs. But it may not be the discs the thief was interested in.

Meanwhile, Detective Barry Duckworth is still trying to solve two murders he believes are connected, since each featured a similar distinctive wound. And when yet another murder happens, Cal and Barry are both driven to pursue their investigations, no matter where they lead. But where they lead may be more horrific than either man can imagine.

Review:

** spoiler alert **

This is the second book in a series (listed as a trilogy, but there is another book with the same characters so I am not sure how that fits in). I have opted to hide the review on the off chance that it ends up spoiling something... even though that is never my intention.

Okay, I am going to say that I liked this book but not nearly as much as I assumed I would based on how much I enjoy Linwood Barclay's writing style. I can't say whether it was me or the story but it just felt like there was too much going on, too many side stories that I didn't see the point of, too many characters to keep straight. With that said, it was still a good book in the sense that you wanted to read further to see what was happening and how the whole story would weave itself back together but be prepared to sift through the unnecessary stuff.

The characters all seemed to carry over (with the exception of a few more obvious ones) from the previous book and while I tend to appreciate when authors don't dwell on mundane details that have already been explained, I could have done with a little more. With so many characters to keep straight, I would have liked just a little more backstory for each person so I could link them easily with the previous book/story... again, it could have been just me. As for the characters themselves, I liked them all for the most part with my favourite being Cam... I don't know, he just seems like a good guy that I would want on my side. The 'bad guys' were deplorable and while I kinda found myself enjoying their stories (who doesn't like a bad guy?)... I was pleased with how their stories panned out!

Overall, a decent second book in the trilogy (is there ever a good one?) and I will definitely continue on with the third.


No comments:

Post a Comment