Monday, January 23, 2017

Savage Drift (Monument 14 #3) by Emmy Laybourne

Savage Drift (Monument 14 #3) by Emmy Laybourne

Publisher: Feiwel & Friends, June 2015

Genre: Fiction, Young Adult

Pages: Paperback, 306 pages

Rating: 4/5 stars

Summary (from chapters.indigo.ca):

It's over.

Dean, Alex, and the other survivors of the Monument 14 have escaped the disaster zone and made it to the safety of a Canadian refugee camp. Some of the kids have been reunited with their families, and everyone is making tentative plans for the future. And then, Niko learns that his lost love, Josie, has survived!

Or is it?

For Josie, separated from the group and presumed dead, life has gone from bad to worse. Trapped in a terrible prison camp with other exposed O's and traumatized by her experiences, she has given up all hope of rescue. Meanwhile, scared by the government's unusual interest in her pregnancy, Astrid-along with her two protectors, Dean and Jake-joins Niko on his desperate quest to be reunited with Josie.

Review:

** spoiler alert **

As I have continued to read YA books, I have started to discover that I don't love them, they just don't relate to me anymore and I find them a little too juvenile for my liking. However, there is something about dystopian/post-apocalyptic stories that just grab me and suck me in... it probably has something to do with being a self-proclaimed disaster junkie... I just enjoy reading about the world in chaos.

For me, Savage Drift, was a great book... full of non-stop, fast-paced action that kept me reading way past my bedtime (remember, I'm old). It was a great ending to the series and I found that, for the most part, the story wrapped up very nicely and didn't really leave me with too many unanswered questions. I love it when a series does that!

I liked that this part of the story focused on more of Josie's story because she sort of felt like the lost character in the previous books and I knew she was such a bad-ass that I wanted to learn more about her. As for the other half of the story, while I enjoy reading from Dean's point of view, he is just such a wimp... even with his new 'bulked up, type-o' image of himself, he just bugs me.

Overall, very glad that I picked up the final book in the Monument 14 series because it really is a great series. Worth the read if you love dystopian novels!


No comments:

Post a Comment