Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North

Publisher: Orbit, October 2014

Genre: Fiction, Science Fiction/Fantasy

Pages:  Paperback, 405 pages

Rating:  3/5 stars

Summary (from chapters.indigo.ca):

SOME STORIES CANNOT BE TOLD IN JUST ONE LIFETIME.

Harry August is on his deathbed. Again.

No matter what he does or the decisions he makes, when death comes, Harry always returns to where he began, a child with all the knowledge of a life he has already lived a dozen times before. Nothing ever changes.

Until now.

As Harry nears the end of his eleventh life, a little girl appears at his bedside. "I nearly missed you, Doctor August," she says. "I need to send a message."This is the story of what Harry does next, and what he did before, and how he tries to save a past he cannot change and a future he cannot allow.

Review:

TOO MUCH DETAIL.  I can't start this review off any other way.  I picked this book up because it was highly praised by a booktuber I watch and I loved the premise of it but man, it's a 400 page book that should have been a 200 page one.  If half of the fluff was removed, this would have been a 5-star read instead of pushing myself to call it a 3-star.

Taking the 'fluff' out of it, I really enjoyed the story.  Harry August is a great character to follow and I did enjoy learning bits and pieces from each of his past lives but found it a little confusing when the author would jump from one life to the next without much warning.  I would have preferred if we met Harry in his first life and moved naturally through instead of jumping all over the place and back again.  Maybe that is my distaste for time-travel books... I didn't really think about that aspect before I jumped in so you have to take that with a grain of salt.

All in, I have such mixed feelings after reading this book... I really want people to read it because it makes you think but, I can't recommend it because IT WAS DRY!!  Ugh, not really the way I was hoping to kick off my 2017 reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment