Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Best of Enemies by Jen Lancaster

The Best of Enemies by Jen Lancaster

Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group, August 2015

Genre: Fiction

Pages: Hardcover, 320 pages

Rating: 3.5/5 stars

Summary (from chapters.indigo.ca):

Jacqueline Jordan knows conflict. A fearless journalist, she’s spent the past decade embedded in the world’s hot spots, writing about the fall of nations and the rise of despots. But if you were to inquire about who topped Jack’s enemy list, she’d not hesitate to answer: Kitty Carricoe.

Kitty reigns supreme over the world of carpools and minivans. A SAHM, she spends her days caring for her dentist husband and three towheaded children, running the PTA, and hiding vegetables in deceptively delicious packed lunches.

Kitty and Jack haven’t a single thing in common—except for Sarabeth Chandler, their mutual bestie. Sarabeth and Jack can be tomboys with the best of them, while Sarabeth can get her girly-girl on with Kitty. In fact, the three of them were college friends until the notorious incident when Jack accidentally hooked up with Kitty’s boyfriend…

Yet both women drop everything and rush to Sarabeth’s side when they get the call that her fabulously wealthy husband has perished in a suspicious plane crash. To solve the mystery surrounding his death, Jack and Kitty must bury the hatchet and hit the road for a trip that just may bring them together—if it doesn’t kill them first.

Review:

This is my second time reading this book but I didn't have it marked as 'read' in my Goodreads so... GRRRR... and I didn't remember reading it but parts of it were super familiar.

I am sad to say that I didn't love this book. The characters were unlovable and overly annoying and the whole premise of the book was a little to 'out there' for me. Yes, it's fiction, but I still like a story that has a little bit of fact behind it. While I found the relationship of Jack and Kitty to be enjoyable and funny at times, their personalities were a little too much for me and once they kind of figure each other out and stop pretending, they turn into much nicer characters and I really wish that they had been written that way from the get-go.

Overall I think that this was a good book... not the usual Jen Lancaster funny that I have come to expect but it was enjoyable enough that I will continue to read her fictional stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment